Sunday 18 August 2013

Day 4 Blog - Geometry

Activities are getting tougher as each lesson past. Now I wonder how I get through my math in primary school. I don't remember any of the strategies covered have rationale behind it. To me, it is more of imparting formulas from my teacher and we applied it accordingly to the problems.
As educators, we scaffold children's thinking and they will construct their own knowledge. Once they are able to do that, children will not forget what they had learnt.

I learnt about Pick's theorem in this session. To calculate the area of a figure drawn on a Geoboard, using Pick's theory is A = i (interior pt) + b (boundary points)/2 - 1.

Below website allowed children to explore Geoboard and apply the Pick's theorem:

http://nrich.maths.org/2883/2883




No comments:

Post a Comment